An old way to prepare Sardines for Sandwich filling or enjoy with saltines crackers.
Servings: 2 persons
- 1 Chef knife
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 SS Bowl Will use the same bowl to serve.
- 1 Fork
- 1 Spoon
- 1 Small Bowl To collect the sardine oil, can be ceramic or metal.
- 2 cans Sardines in oil One can of spicy add a great twist.
- 1 small Tomato
- 1 small White Onion
- 4 Olives
- 1 ⅓ spoon Ground black pepper Fresh ground is best.
- Salt to taste
Prepping the instruments
- Be sure the cutting board is clean and dry.
- Check yur knife is sharp.
- Be sure to use a nice bowl unless another bowl will be use for serve.
Prepping the ingredients
- Crack open the sardine cans and drain the oil on the small cup. if using flavored oil sardines are ok to mix as long you know the flavor level.
- Cut the tomato into med size bite chunks.
- Cut the onion in ⅜ bite chunks.
- Slice the olives
- Have the fork and the spoon at reach for when need.
Cleaning the Sardines
- The sardines come with the skin and the spines. This of course is not good looking and defiantly not in good taste. Using the fork, carefully clean the skin out of the sardines, and flip it over to clean the other side. Carefully separate the sardine and remove the spine. Repeat this process for all the sardines in the can.
Preparing the Sardine filling
- Add the Tomato, Onion, Olives, and Sardines to the mixing bowl.
- Slowly mix the ingredients while adding the oil from the can, the black pepper, and the salt.
- Let it rest between 15-20 minutes. This process allows the vegetables to absobes the sardines oils and the olives to share its mystic flavor.
Serve and Enjoy
- You can now serve on a plate with saltine crackers or inside a slightly toasted bread or inside a piece of a loaf of bread like I do enjoy the most.
Leave a Reply